- WHO WE ARE
- Board of Directors
- Center Street Project
- Employment Opportunities
- Public Outreach
- Request for Proposals
- Who We Are
- SOLID WASTE
- Collection & Curbside Services
- 4R Star Business
- Bag-It Bags and Paper Garden Bags
- Bulky Goods Pick-Up
- Commercial and Business Organics and Recycling
- Construction & Demolition
- E-Waste (Electronic Waste)
- Food Scrap Recycling
- Holiday Tree Recycling
- Household Hazardous Waste
- Mattress Recycling
- Multi-Family Recycling
- Plant Debris Landfill Ban
- Recycling Guides
- Residential Recycling
- Route Maps
- Street Cans
- Used Motor Oil & Filter Recycling
- Waste Management of Alameda County
- What Do I Do With...
- Reduce Waste
- Community & Education
- Alameda County Resources
- Build Your Own Sign
- Community Group Outreach Application
- Davis Street Transfer Station Tour (DSTS)
- Donation & Supply Request Form
- Earth Day
- Event Recycling
- Green Hearts
- LeaR4n Workshops
- Monthly Department Updates
- Repair Workshops
- School Programs
- Collection & Curbside Services
- Call Us First
- Collection System Maintenance
- Dental Amalgam Program
- Fats, Oils, and Grease Control Program
- How to Dispose of Fats, Oils and Grease
- Kids Games
- Lateral Replacement Grant Program
- Permits and Fees
- Private Sewer Lateral Program
- Sanitary Sewer Management Plan
- Standard Drawings
- CONTACT US
4R Business, 4R Planet Program - Reuse
Reuse means using an object or material again, either for its original purpose or for a similar purpose, without significantly altering the physical form of the object or material. Do you reuse shopping bags or water bottles? That’s great reuse!
Some common Reuse options at Castro Valley businesses include:
- If you have a food service establishment (mostly restaurants), offer your customers reusable/washable cups, plates, napkins, etc.
- Implement a new policy, encouraging customers to bring in their own reusable containers or encouraging employees to use reusable mugs and water bottles.
- Switch to reusable shipping containers. For more information, go to http://www.choosereusables.org/
- Would you like reusable shipping containers (like the one pictured below) for your business? CVSan can donate them for free to save cardboard shipping boxes! If you’re interested, please call 510-537-0757 ext. 112.
- Purchase equipment, office furniture or other large items used instead of new. Some good sources are Craig’s List (www.craigslist.org) and the California Materials Exchange (http://www.ciwmb.ca.gov/calmax/).
- Donate unwanted reusable goods (i.e. computers, office furniture and supplies) to a charity, such as Goodwill, for reuse. Or, collect an item such as winter coats from customers for donation to charity.
Reusable serveware (like that above) can reduce waste significantly.
How Do I Become a 4R Star?
Start and maintain at least one activity in each of the following categories (click the links below to find out more about each “R” for your business):
Over 50 businesses have already become 4R Stars and received their award and recognition. Support your local 4R Star businesses – Click here for the directory of certified businesses.
Are you ready to apply for 4R Star certification?
Complete the 4R Business, 4R Planet Program application and submit to CVSan.
Businesses that successfully complete the 4R Business, 4R Planet Award Program requirements earn their 4R Stars. 4R Star businesses will receive:
- A cash award ranging from $150 to $525 (depending on business size and level of waste diversion).
- An award certificate to display with pride.
- One (1) free advertisement in the Castro Valley Forum.
- And more!
Eligible businesses include all businesses located within the CVSan boundaries including preschools. K-Adult schools and home-based businesses are not eligible to become certified 4R Stars at this time, however they may participate in the Alameda County Green Business Program.
Every 3 years, each 4R Star will be notified of quick and easy recertification procedures.
Other Reuse Items