- WHO WE ARE
- Board of Directors
- Center Street Project
- Employment Opportunities
- Public Outreach
- Request for Proposals
- Who We Are
- SOLID WASTE
- Collection & Curbside Services
- 4R Star Business
- Bag-It Bags and Paper Garden Bags
- Bulky Goods Pick-Up
- Commercial and Business Organics and Recycling
- Construction & Demolition
- E-Waste (Electronic Waste)
- Food Scrap Recycling
- Holiday Tree Recycling
- Household Hazardous Waste
- Mattress Recycling
- Multi-Family Recycling
- Plant Debris Landfill Ban
- Recycling Guides
- Residential Recycling
- Route Maps
- Street Cans
- Used Motor Oil & Filter Recycling
- Waste Management of Alameda County
- What Do I Do With...
- Reduce Waste
- Community & Education
- Alameda County Resources
- Build Your Own Sign
- Community Group Outreach Application
- Davis Street Transfer Station Tour (DSTS)
- Donation & Supply Request Form
- Earth Day
- Event Recycling
- Green Hearts
- LeaR4n Workshops
- Monthly Department Updates
- Repair Workshops
- School Programs
- Collection & Curbside Services
- Call Us First
- Collection System Maintenance
- Dental Amalgam Program
- Fats, Oils, and Grease Control Program
- How to Dispose of Fats, Oils and Grease
- Kids Games
- Lateral Replacement Grant Program
- Permits and Fees
- Private Sewer Lateral Program
- Sanitary Sewer Management Plan
- Standard Drawings
- CONTACT US
How do I Become a 4R Star Business?
What’s a 4R Star?
Become a “4R Star” with CVSan’s “4R Business, 4R Planet” Award Program
To recognize and reward businesses for being a company where green practices are business as usual, CVSan implemented the 4R Business, 4R Planet Award Program in 2009. The 4R Business, 4R Planet program certifies “4R Star” businesses that complete ongoing activities in each of the 4R categories – Reduce, Reuse, Recycle, and Rot (organics). CVSan businesses that recycle and add organics service are most likely already completing all 4Rs. Businesses that certify, for a limited time, receive a cash incentive up to $525! 4R Star businesses are also periodically recognized in the Castro Valley Forum, through news releases, events, and on our website all at no cost to them.
Jenny’s Café, a 4R Star since 2011.
How Do I Become a 4R Star?
Start and maintain at least one activity in each of the following categories (click the links below to find out more about each “R” for your business):
Over 100 businesses have already become 4R Stars and received their award and recognition. Support your local 4R Star businesses – Click here for the directory of certified businesses.
Are you ready to apply for 4R Star certification?
Complete the 4R Business, 4R Planet Program application and submit to CVSan.
Businesses that successfully complete the 4R Business, 4R Planet Award Program requirements earn their 4R Stars. 4R Star businesses will receive:
- A cash award ranging from $150 to $525 (depending on business size and level of waste diversion).
- An award certificate to display with pride.
- One (1) free advertisement in the Castro Valley Forum.
- And more!
Eligible businesses include all businesses located within the CVSan boundaries including preschools. K-Adult schools and home-based businesses are not eligible to become certified 4R Stars at this time, however they may participate in the Alameda County Green Business Program.
Every three years, each 4R Star will be notified of quick and easy recertification procedures.
Read more information in our Commercial Services and Green Resources Guide.