Green Ribbon Schools program was implemented in 2007 to guide schools towards sustainable implementation of waste reduction & recycling programs; and reward and recognize schools for their accomplishments. In 2014/15, 18 schools in CVSan/CVUSD were eligible to participate. We are pleased to announce 16 schools met the certification requirements and for the 2014/15 school year. Read below for more information regarding the Green Ribbon application requirements and download a copy of the application.
Shown above are Green Ribbon certified school representatives, and the CVSan Board and General Manager at the CVSan Board of Directors meeting on June 2, 2015
Some of the 2015/16 required activities through Green Ribbon include:
- Implement a school-wide food scrap recycling program.
- Food Scrap Recycling (Organics) containers in school kitchens and in all classrooms.
- Recycling containers at lunch time.
- Establish a bag-a-bag recycling program.
- Recycling containers, with signage, in all classrooms, offices, workrooms and copy rooms.
- Complete a waste audit each year.
- All 3rd Grade classes must attend CVSan’s 4Rs Field Trip.
- Encourage double-sided printing and post signs to reduce waste.
Schools are also rewarded through Green Ribbon by tier, based on school size, diversion, number of activities completed, and more. Schools are eligible for cash awards up to $2,650 per school per school year.
2015/16 Green Ribbon Application Items:
Reuse Pledge Poster:
Download CVSan’s Reuse Pledge Poster (Section 5, Activity #12) for your classroom and have everyone sign their names and pledge to practice the 4Rs and Reuse this school year!
FOG/Chemicals Survey (Section 1, Activity #13)
FOG Awareness - Student Assignments/Classroom Activities (Section 1, Activity #14)
FOG Sink Flyer - (Section 3, Activity #18)
FOG Flyer (Section 5, Activity #13)
Click here to see which schools became certified Green Ribbon Schools in 2014/15.
Almost every school in Castro Valley has now participated in the Green Ribbon program at one point and most continue to do so each year!
Other CVSan School Programs: