- WHO WE ARE
- Board of Directors
- District Boundaries
- Employment Opportunities
- How CVSan is "Green"
- Public Outreach
- Request for Proposals
- SOLID WASTE
- Collection & Curbside Services
- 4R Star Business
- Bulky & Reuse Pick-Up
- Commercial and Business Organics and Recycling
- Construction & Demolition
- E-Waste (Electronic Waste)
- Extra Service Tags and Paper Garden Bags
- Food Scrap Recycling
- Holiday Tree Recycling
- Household Hazardous Waste
- Mattress Recycling
- Multi-Family Community Recognition
- Multi-Family Recycling
- What Do I Do With...
- Plant Debris Landfill Ban
- Recycling Guides
- Residential Recycling
- Route Maps
- Street Cans
- Used Motor Oil & Filter Recycling
- Waste Management of Alameda County
- Alameda County Industries (ACI)
- Reduce Waste
- Community & Education
- Build Your Own Sign
- Davis Street Transfer Station Tour
- Donation Request Form
- Earth Day
- Event Recycling
- Green Hearts
- Monthly Department Updates
- Recycles Day
- Repair Workshops
- School Programs
- Zero Waste Week
- Collection & Curbside Services
- Report a Sewer Emergency
- Center Street Project
- Collection System Maintenance
- Construction Projects
- Construction Standards
- Dental Amalgam Program
- Fats, Oils, and Grease Control Program
- Lateral Replacement Grant Program
- Permits and Fees
- Prevent Sewer Blockages
- Private Sewer Lateral Program
- Sanitary Sewer Management Plan
- Sewer Service Charges
- CONTACT US
Since 1999, CVSan has been coordinating April Earth Day events for Castro Valley. From the early days of the Festival and 5K Fun Run to the Clean-Up and Recycles Day, it’s been our pleasure to serve the community each year by presenting these environmental efforts.
While Earth Day is every day at CVSan, our “Earth Day Clean-Up and Recycles Day” event brings our community together each year through organized projects, breakfast, tools, mulch, compost, and other materials for 500 to 1,000 volunteers. Many Castro Valley schools and their families, parents, students, and school staff chip in to beautify their campuses, and community members enhance our beautiful parks. Our Earth Day events continue one of CVSan’s Visions Statements to practice environmental stewardship to protect our resources.
HOW CAN I CELEBRATE EARTH DAY?
Volunteer to Clean-Up Castro Valley. Materials & light breakfast provided.
Volunteers are needed to beautify and clean up Castro Valley on Saturday, April 13, 2019 from 9:00 a.m. to noon, rain or shine. Scroll down for more information about the sites and to register.
Before the Clean-Up
1. Select a site that you would like to beautify. This is a great group project for your club, organization, family, troop/pack, or team. Tell others and sign up together!
2. Complete registration online by April 5, 2019. For school projects, see your school's main office.
During the Clean-Up
1. Wear long pants & closed-toe shoes. Bring work gloves if you can, a refillable water bottle (water will be available onsite for refills), and don't forget a hat!
2. Carpool (or walk) to your site by 9:00 a.m. on Saturday, April 13th.
3. A Clean-Up facilitator will be at every site to give you materials for your project and safety guidelines. You'll volunteer until 12:00 p.m. All volunteers will receive a free continental breakfast.
4. Leave bags & tools at the site.
Volunteer and support a local charity!
In the spirit of waste reduction and community action, CVSan will donate $5.00 to one of three local charities on behalf of each event volunteer. Select from the list of charities when you register.
*Please note that CVSan requires a parent or guardian of volunteers under the age of 18 to sign a registration and hold harmless agreement at the event.
Site A: Castro Valley Creek
Castro Valley Creek
3600 Norbridge Avenue
Meet in parking area adjacent to creek, behind KFC on Castro Valley Blvd. Park in CVS parking lot.
Activities: Plant and trail maintenance, weed abatement, litter and debris removal, and invasive plant removal.
Site B: Cull Canyon Regional Recreation Area (This site is full and no longer accepting registrations for volunteers)
Cull Canyon Regional Recreation Area
East Bay Regional Park District
18627 Cull Canyon Road
Castro Valley, CA 94552
Meet in Cull Canyon parking lot.
Activities: Planting, landscaping, and removing brush and weeds.
Site C: Downtown Castro Valley
Castro Valley Boulevard/Redwood Road area
Meet at 20980 Redwood Road, Suite 250
Activities: Litter removal and weed abatement in Downtown Castro Valley along Castro Valley Boulevard (between Marshall St. and Wilbeam Ave.) and Redwood Road (between Lessley Ave. and Somerset Ave.).
Site D: Lake Chabot Regional Park (This site is full and no longer accepting registrations for volunteers)
Lake Chabot Regional Park
17930 Lake Chabot Road
Castro Valley, CA 94546
Meet at Main Parking Lot for project by the entrance kiosk on Lake Chabot Road.
Activities: Litter abatement on trails, shorelines, and remote sites.
Site E: Adobe Park (This site is full and no longer accepting registrations for volunteers)
20395 San Miguel Avenue
Castro Valley, CA 94546
Activities: Tree planting, litter abatement, weed control, and landscaping.
What About My School's Beautification Event?
Castro Valley Sanitary District works directly with schools for Earth Day projects. Please contact your school's main office for more information and registration instructions for the following schools:
Castro Valley Adult
All yard trimmings from the Clean-Up and food scraps & food-soiled paper from the breakfast will be composted. You can do the same at home & work! Click here for more information.
Castro Valley Sanitary District | 21040 Marshall Street, Castro Valley, CA 94546 | (510) 537-0757