Our FAQs are available below.

Fats, Oils, and Grease Control Program

Grease removal devices are outdoor Gravity Grease Interceptors (GGI) or indoor Grease Removal Devices (GRD) for non-residential use. They are designed, constructed, and intended to remove, hold, or otherwise prevent the passage of FOG into the public sewer mains. 

Any FSE that introduces FOG into the public sewer main in quantities large enough to cause line blockages or hinder wastewater treatment is required to install a grease trap or interceptor.

Yes. The reason you need a grease trap or grease interceptor is because of the cleanup, not the cooking. When you wash your cooking equipment, you are washing fats, oils, and grease (not to mention solids) into the public sewer main. It’s the fats, oils, greas0,e and solids (food stuff) that damage public sewer mains.

It is recommended that, all grease removal devices should be maintained regularly so that the depth of floating FOG and settled solids accumulation do not exceed 25% of the hydraulic length, at any time. Thereby, the working depth of each device stays more than 75% for effective FOG separation. All grease removal devices shall be maintained to ensure compliance with CVSan’s discharge limits for oil and grease in accordance with CVSan Code Section 6206. As per CVSan Code Section 6216, the minimum cleaning frequency required for all grease interceptors is 6 months. Some establishments will find it necessary to clean their interceptors more often than what is required by the Code.

The California Plumbing Code requires that no grease trap have a capacity less than 20 gallons per minute (gpm). The size of the trap depends upon the number of fixtures connected to it. The size will also depend upon the maintenance schedule. If a grease trap or interceptor is not maintained regularly, it will not provide the necessary grease removal. 

The small under-the-sink or under-the-counter traps that are usually located inside the building may be cleaned by the establishment itself. It is recommended that if cleaning is performed by kitchen staff, solids and FOG should be dewatered and discarded in the trash. The large outside interceptors must be cleaned by a licensed grease hauler. A list of licensed grease haulers can be found here. This is due to the volume of waste contained inside the trap and the proper disposal of this waste. The interceptors are roughly the size of a residential septic tank and they are confined spaces. No one is allowed to enter confined spaces without training or certification.



According to California Food and Agricultural Code Sections 19310 and 19311, a Licensed Grease Hauler is a person who is registered with the department of Food and Agriculture as a transporter of inedible kitchen grease and who is in possession of a valid registration certificate from the Department of Food and Agriculture. Licensed Grease Haulers are eligible to operate vehicles for the purpose of collecting inedible kitchen grease that includes used cooking/fryer oil. They are also eligible to clean the grease traps and grease interceptors.

It is best to compost small amounts of grease scraped from traps and cookware (in a paper milk or ice cream carton). The grease from traps and cookware should not go into the used oil recycle storage bin. Brown grease should not be mixed with yellow grease, unless the yellow grease hauler can recycle the entire contents when they are mixed. Large quantities of brown grease should be disposed of through a local cooking oil and grease recycler.


Any FSE that introduces FOG into the public sewer main in quantities large enough to cause line blockages or hinder wastewater treatment is required to install a grease trap or interceptor.

Lateral Replacement Grant Program

Property owners can download an application at www.cvsan.org/grants, pick one up at CVSan's Main Office at 21040 Marshall Street, Castro Valley, or request a copy be mailed or e-mailed by calling (510) 606-1300. Please note that the property owner is responsible for obtaining an application.

After you receive the application, you will need to complete Sections I – III and submit it to CVSan on or after August 19, 2019.

The property owner is required to obtain and submit a minimum of three price quotations.

Legally, CVSan may not recommend any contractors; however, CVSan does require work for the LRGP be completed by a contractor listed on CVSan’s QCL.  CVSan’s QCL is comprised of contractors who have worked in CVSan’s boundaries and been thoroughly vetted. Only contractors listed on CVSan’s QCL are eligible to provide valid price quotations for submission and to complete work through the program. For a copy of CVSan’s QCL, please contact (510) 606-1300 or visit www.cvsan.org/grants.


Written price quotations need to be submitted to CVSan office personnel, along with the completed application, on or after August 19, 2019. Contractors and CVSan field personnel cannot accept or submit applications or price quotations for the LRGP.

A Condition rating is an assessment of the private sewer lateral to determine the degree of defects to the lateral. Condition ratings take into consideration: pipe cracks, roots, water infiltration evidence, and other defects. Each defect is given a numerical designation (this is similar to the method used on the public sewer main). Property owners with laterals receiving a poor condition rating may receive grant funding.

Yes, property owners will need a repair permit from CVSan to perform lateral repair/replacement work. You may also need an encroachment permit from Alameda County Public Works if you are doing work in the public roadway.

After you receive your Letter of Approval, select one of the contractors from whom you have received valid price quotations to commence work. You will have 90 days in which to complete construction, inspection, pay the contractor in full, and submit a copy of your “Paid-In-Full” invoice to CVSan. Please note, it is the property owner’s responsibility to ensure the contractor has been issued all necessary permits for the job prior to work commencing.

CVSan requires two site inspections: one that the property owner schedules with CVSan personnel to witness the contractor recording your lateral with a camera; and one that your contractor schedules after the new sewer line has been installed, but prior to any backfilling. CVSan personnel will witness testing of the entire line from the building foundation to the connection to the public sewer main. Testing will be performed by your contractor.

Once the second site inspection is complete, you need to submit a copy of your “Paid-In-Full” invoice to CVSan for the work performed. CVSan will then process your invoice for payment; payment will be made within 30 days. Please note, your “Paid-In-Full” invoice should either be stamped “Paid-In-Full” or written and initialed by the contractor that it is “Paid-In-Full.”