All available Lateral Replacement Grant Program funds for fiscal year 2018/19 have been distributed. Please check back this summer for information on fiscal year 2019/20 funds.


Lateral Replacement Grant Program Guidelines

Lateral Replacement Grant Program Application

List of Qualified Contractors


What is a Sewer Lateral?

Within the Castro Valley Sanitary District (CVSan), the lateral is defined as the portion of the sewer system, beginning at the junction with the building plumbing system, usually located within two feet of the foundation of the building, and extending to and including the connection, maintenance, repair, construction, alteration, abandonment, or removal of the lateral.

These laterals are often a significant source of infiltration and inflow (I&I). The Lateral Replacement Grant Program (LRGP) is designed to help defray a portion of the costs when the property owner of their agent is required to replace the lateral, including the connection to the main.


$50,000 AUTHORIZED for the 2018/19 Fiscal Year (FY)

CVSan has allocated funds to renew LRGP through FY 2018/19 commencing Monday, August 13, 2018, at 7:30 a.m.  Please contact CVSan at (510) 537-0757 ext. 109 for additional information.



All LRGP bids and work performed must be by a CVSan qualified, licensed contractor.


IMPORTANT REQUIREMENTS – Before beginning ANY construction work:

A.   A video inspection must be performed by a plumbing contractor and witnessed by CVSan personnel.

B.   The property owner must submit a completed application, including price quotes from at least three CVSan qualified contractors.

C.   A Letter of Approval must be issued by CVSan to the property owner.

Warning: If the above requirements are not met prior to commencement of construction work, no funds will be obligated to the property owner.


Amount of Grant

The maximum amount of assistance for any one residential lateral replacement or repair is 50% of the approved cost of the lowest bid up, up to a maximum reimbursement of $2,000.  Only a replacement of more than 50% of the lateral, that completely eliminates I&I, is eligible for the program. Not all applications will be granted. All applications are subject to a Condition Rating by CVSan.

The property owner is responsible for notifying their selected contractor that their entire lateral must pass CVSan inspection requirements (even if only a partial replacement was performed) in order to be eligible for reimbursement. Grant payments shall be made to the property owner(s).


Lateral Inspection

Lateral inspection must be performed prior to the repair or replacement of the lateral in order for grant funding to be considered. Inspecting and testing methods shall include the following technique:


Recorded Video Inspection

Video inspection shall reveal the condition of the lateral, and each service connection.

Video inspection shall be done by a plumbing contractor and observed by CVSan personnel. The lateral inspection must be adequately viewable and recorded. Cleaning and/or de-clogging may be necessary prior to the inspection.



The property owner(s) shall submit a Lateral Replacement Grant Program application, provided by CVSan, prior to commencement of work. The request will be reviewed by CVSan staff, and the determination of eligibility will be made by the designated representative whose decision shall be final.

Grant funds are available for FY 2018/19 starting Monday, August 13, 2018 at 7:30 a.m. Funds will be obligated on a first come, first qualified, first served basis, until all funds are allocated or the end of the FY (June 30, 2019).

Funds will be obligated for a period not to exceed 90 days from approval. The obligation period shall include all work, inspection, payment to the contractor by the property owner, and submission of paid receipt(s) to CVSan.

Work not completed by June 30, 2019 will not be eligible for payment and may result in disqualification from the current program year.

Applications are accepted on a continual basis until the program is completed or all funds have been allocated.



A.   Schedule an appointment – Beginning Monday, August 13, 2018 at 7:30 a.m., call (510) 537-0757 ext. 109, or visit CVSan’s Main Office at 21040 Marshall Street, Castro Valley, to schedule an appointment for CCTV inspection. Please note: walk-ins are given first priority over phone calls.

B.   Lateral video inspection observations will be scheduled beginning Wednesday, August 15, 2018.

C.   The property owner submits the application to CVSan with three valid quotations. Qualification is determined after inspection. All applications are subject to a Condition Rating by CVSan. Not all applications will be approved. Applications may NOT be submitted by a contractor.

D.   A Letter of Approval must be issued by CVSan to the property owner prior to commencement of work. NOTICE: If requirements A-C (see above) are not met prior to commencement of construction work, no funds will be obligated to the property owner.

E.   The property owner/contractor obtains all required permit(s).

F.    The property owner schedules work with the contractor.

G.   The construction inspection of repair work by CVSan personnel is done prior to backfilling.

H.   The property owner submits a copy of the “Paid-In-Full” receipt to CVSan for the work performed by the contractor.

I.     CVSan processes the application for payment. Payment will be made within 30 days.

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)