- WHO WE ARE
- Board of Directors
- Employment Opportunities
- Public Outreach
- Request for Proposals
- Who We Are
- SOLID WASTE
- Collection & Curbside Services
- 4R Star Business
- Bag-It Bags and Paper Garden Bags
- Bulky Goods Pick-Up
- Commercial and Business Organics and Recycling
- Construction & Demolition
- E-Waste (Electronic Waste)
- Food Scrap Recycling
- Holiday Tree Recycling
- Household Hazardous Waste
- Less Than Weekly
- Multi-Family Recycling
- Plant Debris Landfill Ban
- Recycling Guides
- Residential Recycling
- Route Maps
- Street Cans
- Used Motor Oil & Filter Recycling
- Waste Management of Alameda County
- What Do I Do With...
- Reduce Waste
- Community & Education
- 4R Characters
- The 4Rs
- Alameda County Resources
- Build Your Own Sign
- Community Group Outreach Application
- Davis Street Transfer Station Tour (DSTS)
- Donation & Supply Request Form
- Earth Day 2016
- Event Recycling
- Green Hearts
- Kids Games
- LeaR4n Workshops
- Library Educational Materials
- Monthly Department Updates
- Repair Workshops
- School Programs
- Collection & Curbside Services
- Call Us First
- Collection System Maintenance
- Dental Amalgam Program
- Fats, Oils, and Grease Control Program
- How to Dispose of Fats, Oils and Grease
- Kids Games
- Lateral Replacement Grant Program
- Permits and Fees
- Sanitary Sewer Management Plan
- Standard Design Criteria
- CONTACT US
Used Motor Oil & Filter Recycling
CVSan's Used Motor Oil Filter Exchange Program
- Do you change your own oil in your car, truck, RV, motorcycle, or boat?
- Do you live in a single-family home?
Single-family residents who notify WMAC at least 24 hours prior to setting out used motor oil and filter(s) curbside between May 2, 2016 and June 10, 2016 will receive a coupon* in the mail from CVSan for a new filter. Details are on the coupon.
Please call WMAC’s Customer Service Center, Monday – Friday, 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. at (510) 537-5500.
*The coupon may be redeemed for 1 filter with a maximum value of $10 (including tax). If the cost of the filter and tax is less than $10, the balance is not transferable, redeemable for cash, and is forfeited. A used motor oil filter must be set out for recycling curbside during the 6-week program in order to receive a coupon for a new filter. Maximum 1 coupon per household per week of collection. Coupon is for a limited time only and expires June 25, 2016. CVSan reserves the right to alter or cancel the program at any time for any reason.
Q. How do I recycle Used Motor Oil? Filters? Other auto fluids?
A. Residents in Castro Valley can recycle their used motor oil, filters, and other automobile fluids for free!
For Single-Family Residents:
Place one-gallon screw-top containers curbside beside your collection carts on your regular collection day. You can recycle up to three (3) gallons per week of motor oil, transmission fluid, gear lube and other lubricants commonly used in cars and light trucks. Oil filters can be put in a heavyweight sealed clear plastic bag and placed curbside. Call WMAC at (510) 537-5500 to request delivery of a Used Oil jug and filter bag kit. Uncontaminated used oil and filters may be dropped off at a Collection Center (see below).
For Multi-Family Residents:
Place uncontaminated used motor oil in a leak-proof container (such as a plastic screw-top container) and place the old filter in a separate leak-proof container (such as a heavy duty sealed plastic bag or coffee tin with lid). Drop off used motor oil and oil filters for recycling at a Certified Collection Center or Household Hazardous Waste facility (see below). Used oil that has been contaminated with other fluids must be disposed of at a Household Hazardous Waste facility (see below).
Certified Collection Centers in Castro Valley and San Lorenzo
It’s easy to recycle your used motor oil and filters at Certified Collection Centers (CCCs)! Depending on the CCC, many will take up to 5 gallons of oil per person per visit. Upon request, Certified Collection Centers will reimburse you $0.40 per gallon or $0.10 per quart of motor oil you bring in. And remember, don’t forget the filter! Filters can hold up to one quart of motor oil.
- Castro Valley Autohaus **20697 Park Way, (510) 581-4525
- Jiffy Lube *2492 Castro Valley Blvd., (510) 582-7677
- Kevin Hinckley Auto Tech **5269 Crow Canyon Road, (510) 881-1052
- O'Reilly Auto Parts *2990 Castro Valley Blvd., (510) 881-0761
- O'Reilly Auto Parts *15604 Hesperian Blvd., (510) 276-7822
- Certified Tire and Service Center* 3430 Castro Valley Blvd., (510) 886-9500
- Boulevard Auto **3940 Castro Valley Blvd., (510) 247-9700
*Centers that only collects motor oil; do not change oil. **Centers that also accept filters.
Household Hazardous Waste Facilities
Facilities are located in Hayward, Fremont, Oakland, and Livermore. Hours rotate so call ahead (800) 606-6606 or visit the website at www.household-hazwaste.org
- Hayward Facility, 2091 West Winton Ave, Hayward
- Oakland Facility, 2100 East 7th Street, Oakland
- Livermore Facility, 5584 La Ribera Street, Livermore
- Fremont Facility, 41149 Boyce Road, Fremont
Free Used Oil Recycling Kits available at CVSan!
CVSan residents can come by our Marshall Street office to pick-up a used oil recycling kit (up to 3) to help in the home oil change process.
- Used Oil recycling kit (plastic jug & filter bag)
- Cloth shop rags
- “Finish the Job Right” DVD