Inside the Blue Recycling Cart: All clean paper, corrugated cardboard, brown bags and paper, paperboard, paper egg cartons, telephone books and magazines, clear and colored glass containers, aluminum foil and beverage containers, scrap steel and aluminum metals (not exceeding 40 pounds in weight nor two (2) feet in any dimension for any single item); steel including ”tin” cans, aerosol cans (empty, non-toxic products), bimetal containers, all plastics (#1-7) except expanded Polystyrene (EPS).
On top of the Blue Recycling Cart: Dry cell batteries (household batteries such as AAA, AA, B, C, D, 9V, and small “button” batteries; no liquid batteries such as automobile batteries).
Next to the Blue Recycling Cart: Flattened corrugated cardboard no larger than 4’ tall x 4’ wide.
Latex and water-based paint will be accepted at the CVSan Recycles Day. For more on paint visit www.household-hazwaste.org
Household Hazardous Waste
Thanks to the partnership between Castro Valley Sanitary District (CVSan), Eden Medical Center, and the Alameda County Medication Disposal Initiative Workgroup, you can now drop off your pharmaceutical waste at Eden Medical Center for free 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
The location of the free public collection box is:
Eden Medical Center
20103 Lake Chabot Road
Castro Valley, CA 94546
You can also bring expired medications to an Alameda County Household Hazardous Waste facility.
Single-Family residents may place one-gallon screw-top containers curbside beside your collection carts on your regular collection day. You can recycle up to three (3) gallons per week of motor oil, transmission fluid, gear lube and other lubricants commonly used in cars and light trucks. Oil filters can be put in a heavyweight sealed clear plastic bag and placed curbside. Call WMAC at (510) 537-5500 to request delivery of a Used Oil jug and filter bag kit.
Used Oil and filters may be dropped off at a Collection Center (see below).
Collection Centers in Castro Valley:
- Castro Valley Autohaus* 20697 Park Way (510) 581-4525
- Jiffy Lube* 2492 Castro Valley Blvd. (510) 582-7677
- Kevin Hinckley Auto Tech* 5269 Crow Canyon Road (510) 881-1052
- O'Reilly Auto Parts** 2990 Castro Valley Blvd. (510) 881-0761
- O'Reilly Auto Parts**15604 Hesperian Blvd. (510) 276-7822
- Quality Tune Up* 2780 Castro Valley Blvd. (510) 887-9945
- RyNck Tire & Auto Center 3430 Castro Valley Blvd. (510) 886-9500
- Sal's Foreign Car Service* 3343 Castro Valley Blvd. (510) 582-5282
- SpeeDee Oil Change 3940 Castro Valley Blvd. (510) 886-9500
*Centers that also accept filters** Center that only collects motor oil; does not change oil.