The School Zero Waste Services Guide 2019-2024 for Castro Valley Schools is available for download below.
Castro Valley Sanitary District (CVSan) implemented the Green Ribbon Schools Program in 2007 to guide schools with the implementation of sustainable waste reduction and recycling programs. The program rewards and recognizes schools for their accomplishments. In fiscal year (FY) 2018/19, 17 K-Adult schools in CVSan/Castro Valley Unified School District (CVUSD) were eligible to participate, and 16 schools were certified Green Ribbon Schools.
Shown above are Green Ribbon certified school representatives at the CVSan Board meeting held on June 4, 2019.
Green Ribbon School activities for FY 2019/20 included:
- Implement a school-wide food scrap recycling program.
- Food Scrap Recycling (Organics) containers in school kitchens and in all classrooms.
- Divert over 80% of materials to recycling and/or organics.
- Recycling containers at lunchtime.
- Establish a bag-a-bag recycling program.
- Recycling containers, with signage, in all classrooms, offices, workrooms and copy rooms.
- Complete a waste audit each year.
- All 3rd Grade classes must attend CVSan’s 4Rs Field Trip.
- Encourage double-sided printing and post signs to reduce waste.
Schools are rewarded through the Green Ribbon Schools Program by tier, based on school size, amount of diversion, number of activities completed, and other criteria. Schools are eligible for cash awards over $3,000 per school, per school year.
The Document Center provides easy access to public documents. Click on one of the categories below to see related documents or use the search function.
Documents sorted by SEQ in Ascending Order within category