What is green building?
In a nutshell, green building means taking steps to create wonderful homes that are safe for our families and communities and that protect our environment. Whether you are redecorating, remodeling or planning to build a new home, keep in mind these three fundamental green building goals:
Be mindful of using limited resources such as wood and water so that you limit waste, pollution, and environmental damage.
Build and remodel with energy efficiency in mind to save money, create a more comfortable home, and reduce air pollution and global warming.
Choose healthy materials and construction methods to prevent indoor pollution from formaldehyde, mold and other contaminants.
What are the benefits of green building?
People are drawn to green building for many important reasons, including:
- Higher quality: Most green building products and materials were developed to perform better than their conventional counterparts.
- Greater durability and less maintenance: Green building encourages the use of long-lasting products that don’t require a lot of time or harsh chemicals to maintain. Products that don’t have to be replaced frequently also put less of a burden on natural resources and landfills.
- Greater comfort and lower utility bills: Energy efficiency upgrades can reduce your energy bills while providing you with all the comfort and convenience you expect.
- Healthier products and practices: Green building promotes the use of products and construction practices that don’t introduce harmful chemicals or other pollutants into your home.
- Natural resource conservation: Protecting the environment is another compelling reason for choosing to build green.
- Does green building cost more? It doesn’t have to. Many green building features and products cost the same as or even less than their conventional counterparts. Other green features may cost more upfront but result in savings year after year. Energy efficiency upgrades, for example, usually pay for themselves by lowering your monthly energy bill.
When considering green building measures, be sure to balance upfront product and installation costs with other important benefits such as energy savings, increased durability, better indoor air quality, and a healthier home.
StopWaste has additional Green Building Standards & Guidelines available online.
The Document Center provides easy access to public documents. Click on one of the categories below to see related documents or use the search function.
Search for file name:
Documents sorted by SEQ in Ascending Order within category