- WHO WE ARE
- Board of Directors
- District Boundaries
- Employment Opportunities
- How CVSan is "Green"
- Public Outreach
- Request for Proposals
- SOLID WASTE
- Collection & Curbside Services
- 4R Star Business
- Bulky & Reuse Pick-Up
- Commercial and Business Organics and Recycling
- Construction & Demolition
- E-Waste (Electronic Waste)
- Extra Service Tags and Paper Garden Bags
- Food Scrap Recycling
- Holiday Tree Recycling
- Household Hazardous Waste
- Mattress Recycling
- Multi-Family Community Recognition
- Multi-Family Recycling
- What Do I Do With...
- Plant Debris Landfill Ban
- Recycling Guides
- Residential Recycling
- Route Maps
- Street Cans
- Used Motor Oil & Filter Recycling
- Waste Management of Alameda County
- Alameda County Industries (ACI)
- Reduce Waste
- Community & Education
- Build Your Own Sign
- Davis Street Transfer Station Tour
- Donation Request Form
- Earth Day
- Event Recycling
- Green Hearts
- Monthly Department Updates
- Recycles Day
- Repair Workshops
- School Programs
- Zero Waste Week
- Collection & Curbside Services
- Report a Sewer Emergency
- Center Street Project
- Collection System Maintenance
- Construction Projects
- Construction Standards
- Dental Amalgam Program
- Fats, Oils, and Grease Control Program
- Lateral Replacement Grant Program
- Permits and Fees
- Prevent Sewer Blockages
- Private Sewer Lateral Program
- Sanitary Sewer Management Plan
- Sewer Service Charges
- CONTACT US
Recycles Day is Castro Valley Sanitary District’s (CVSan’s) most popular event and is held twice a year. At Recycles Day, residents are invited to drop off items to be properly recycled or disposed of, such as e-waste, pharmaceuticals, old tires, and Household Hazardous Waste.
The next CVSan Recycles Day will be held on Saturday, April 13, 2019, at Canyon Middle School from 8:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. for CVSan residents only.
What items will be accepted at this event?
Acceptable items are as follows:
- E-Waste (details below)
- Used cooking oil
- Sensitive documents for shredding (details below)
Please see below for a map of the event and instructions on how to pack your car in order to keep the line moving as fast as possible.
NEW! Participants can enter the event using either lane. After check-in, participants will be sorted into the appropriate lane – Recycle Drop-Off or Compost Only.
Attendees that wish to access the school site but are not participating in the Recycles Day event shall stay in the right lane and will be able to pull into the General Parking Lot, and then exit behind the school.
CVSan residents will also receive three 1-cubic foot bags of compost, a countertop food scrap recycling pail, and a construction & demolition voucher for 2-cubic yards of free drop-off at the Davis Street Transfer Station in San Leandro. Supplies are limited and will be distributed on a first-come first-serve basis.
Acceptable E-Waste Items for CVSan’s April 13, 2019 Recycles Day Event
|Cameras – regular & digital||Network routers/switches|
|CD/floppy drives||Overhead projectors|
|Coffee grinders||Power tools (drills, power saws)|
|Computer battery packs (8” encased)||Record players|
|Copy machines (floor models ok – max size 40”x48” sq. (size of pallet)||Remote Controls (batteries removed)|
|Disk drives (hard/floppy)||Scanners|
|Ethernet cables (wires & cords – see below)||Stereo systems|
|Fax machines||Tape recorders|
|Irons||Telephones/Cell phones (including batteries and accessories)|
|Keyboards||Televisions (no size limit) & monitors (including LCD & plasma)|
|Lab equipment (electronic)||Vacuums|
|LCD projectors||Wire, cords and cables|
|Microwave ovens (regular & convection)|
- Compressed gases
- Fire extinguishers
- Large appliances (refrigerators, freezers, washers, dryers, stoves, air conditioners, etc.)
- Manuals and packaging
- Pcb light ballasts
- Radioactive materials
- Smoke detectors
Note: Some items may be sorted for reuse. Please factory reset any phones, routers, streaming TV boxes, and other devices that have personal account information. Follow best practices for erasing and wiping hard drives on computers or physically destroying them. Remove and erase any memory cards or sim cards in cameras, phones, and other devices. For more information, please refer to the links below, or contact the product's manufacturer.
Viewing Your Document Shredding
If you wish to view the shredding of your documents, drop off your documents at Station 3, park along the Exit lane in the Temporary Parking, and walk to the designated document shredding viewing area (top of the stairs looking down into the parking lot).
Past CVSan Recycles Day Collection Events
The following are highlights about pounds of e-waste collected.
- Twenty-eight thousand four hundred and forty-eight (28,448) pounds of Electronic Waste were collected on April 28, 2018.
- Twenty-two thousand three hundred and seventy-two (22,372) pounds of Electronic Waste were collected on August 5, 2017, which included residents from Alameda County.
- Twenty-six thousand nine hundred one (26,901) pounds of Electronic Waste were collected on April 29, 2017.
Thank you to the Castro Valley residents, volunteers, and sponsors who made and continue to make these events possible.